Apr 8, 2010

The "F" Word

Fibromyalgia.

I saw an Internist yesterday about why I don't seem to ever feel 100% well. After reviewing my symptoms (constant low-grade fever, feeling flu-like ever few weeks, horrible fatigue), she mentioned that some of my concerns sounded like fibromyalgia.

I worry that if I get stuck with the "f"-word, it will undermine my efforts to find out what really is wrong with me. My main issue isn't muscle pain; it is fatigue and flu-like illness.

The thing is, I know my body. I know what it feels like to be healthy and active. I reject the chronic disease label. I don't want to give up hope and just learn to live like this.

Fortunately, this Internist is willing to keep working with me to find the source of my problem. Next stop: endocrinology. Possible future step: infectious disease.


*I do believe that Fibromyalgia exists. I just don't think that I have it.



4 comments:

  1. What ever happened with the thyroid issue? Do you feel better since getting that taken care of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are listening to your body and your intuition. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks WC,
    I am listening to my body - I just don't understand what it's saying :)

    OMDG,
    I started thyroid treatment last summer (TSH 8.3) and felt a LOT better by the fall. No more brain fog, fatigue improved. Way better. TSH was close to one.

    After Christmas I started feeling foggy again and found out that my TSH was creeping back up to around 3. The dosage was increased and now is .83

    I'm actually wondering if my TSH too low now (even though it is still in the 'normal' range).

    My problem is that since January I just cannot stay well for more than a week at a time. I get "flu-like" symptoms (fever, chills, body aches) that come and go within a few days.

    I am at a loss, but it sure doesn't sound like fibromyalgia to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fibro, as I understand it, means certain symptoms occur despite the absence of cause. It does NOT mean that nobody bothered to check for the reason the symptoms exist. Was there ever any follow-up on your positive ANA? Specific tests for lupus, etc.?

    ReplyDelete