Apr 15, 2010

turns out, I do get "aura"!

I always thought that I didn't get an aura before my migraines. I was actually a little jealous of the people who got flashing lights, zig-zags, and a host of other interesting "heads-up" symptoms that a migraine was on its way.

The other day I realized that about 20 minutes before the start of my headaches, I get a hard to describe "prickly", "pins and needles", "electric" kind of feeling from my occipital area around to my eyes.

I suppose I always thought that this was actually the headache (as it is uncomfortable), but I've recently learned that if I can throw enough medication at it while I'm in this "prickly" phase, I can prevent it from getting worse.

Does anyone else get "aura" that isn't visual?

1 comment:

  1. I don't get migraines.... but I have had a couple of patients report an "aura" before having a seizure. Funny tastes and smells, feeling an "impending sense of doom" (not kidding, exact words). The brain is a fascinating thing!

    ReplyDelete