Oct 13, 2010

my unwanted guest

I woke up three days ago with the most awful, stabbing pain in my upper right arm - lil' miss shoulder pain had arrived for another visit. She literally took my breath away. The back of my arm down to my elbow was numb.

I will never forget the first time she inflicted me with her presence - it was about 8:00 am, the morning of September 11, 2001. Shortly before I turned on my television and found the world changing before my eyes, she stabbed into me and twisted herself into my fibres. Since then, she comes to visit every few years, bringing days of relentless pain.

Despite setting her up on dates with Tylenol and Advil, shoulder pain is playing hard to get. She laughs at the humble analgesic's efforts to sooth and comfort her. She is a real bitch - an unwanted guest.

I want to show her the door, but she seems to have unpacked her bags and plans to stay a while.




No comments:

Post a Comment